Sunday, March 22, 2015

You're Never Too Old to Learn

It's been a busy week--actually it's been busy for several weeks. So busy in fact that despite the fact that our grandson Clifton has been in his baseball season at Maryville College since the first of February, Bill and I have not seen the team play. Friday we decided to go up to Covenant College (Lookout Mountain) to see his team play. It was closer than going all the way to Maryville. Anyway, although it was cloudy, we hoped for no rain and headed that way. The game was scheduled for three o'clock and we didn't get out of Rome until 1:30. Traffic slowed for construction around Dalton and by the time we headed out on I-24 in Chattanooga I was fairly sure we wouldn't make it by three. I sent a text to Clift (who was already there) to tell him we were coming but would probably not get there by three. His response surprised me: "We may be fogged out. It's very bad."

Fogged out? I grew up in the hills of Eastern Kentucky where there is a lot of fog, but I had never heard that before! When we finally got to Covenant College at the top of the mountain I understood what he meant. We could barely see the sign at the entrance, and nothing else. We finally flagged down a girl in a car (a student I guess) and asked her the way to the baseball field. She said "just follow me" and led us (we could just barely see the tail lights of her car) almost to the field. We saw nothing on the way. When we got to the field, we DID see Clifton for a few minutes. He said, "We can't even see their dugout or the score board!" So everybody hung around for a while until they called the game off and planned to return on Saturday--which they did, but we didn't. Fogged out! Like my grandpa always said, you learn something new just about every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment