Thursday, March 12, 2015

The Apprentice Harp Maker

We had a great meeting at the Rome Area Writers meeting tonight--some wonderful readings were shared and we had some insightful discussions about how we could support one another. In a discussion with Karli Land, I was reminded of my last blog where I was relating how I got the idea for my first novel, The Welsh Harp. As I told you in my last blog, the cover features a photograph of a harp the Davies family brought with them from Wales. It is almost two hundred years old now and was played by Bill's grandfather and great grandfather. It was in bad need of restoration when I last saw it a few years ago in Harlan, Kentucky.

 I want to share a story about what happened at one of my book signings for The Welsh Harp. The signing was in La Grange, Kentucky, at Karen's Book Barn. Just before the signing started, a girl walked in with a harp and played during my signing. She had seen my card and learned that I would be there, and she just wanted to come in and play while I was there! It turns out that she was an apprentice harp maker at a music shop not far from La Grange in Crestwood, Kentucky. My husband and I decided to go and see what all they did. They restore a lot of old musical instruments and actually make instruments as well. It's a really neat place called Hewn From the Mountain.  Anyway, several months later, I was telling my brother-in-law about the shop. He asked if they restore harps, and I told him I didn't know. He said that he and his cousin were hoping to get the harp restored. He ended up contacting those people and in the end he took the harp to them to restore!

Isn't it interesting how things can happen? By the way, the apprentice harp maker is Sami True and she has a beautiful CD of harp music called Blue Fire Sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment