Monday, May 8, 2023

Inspiration for New Novel

Most educators and child psychologists tell us that early childhood experiences are a big factor in the well-being of children. Basically, what this means is that children are better equipped to face the world if they feel loved and safe during those years. 

Masten and Gewirtz concluded that “Resilience research indicates that during the early childhood years, it is important for children to have good quality of care and opportunities for learning, adequate nutrition and community support for families, to facilitate positive development of cognitive, social and self-regulation skills.” (“Resilience in Development: The Importance of Early Childhood”, Masten & Gewirtz, University of Minnesota, USA, pub. Online March 15, 2006). Other research supports this also 

(https://www.ncdhhs.gov/about/department-initiatives/early-childhood/why-early-childhood-matters).

 

I grew up in a rural area of Kentucky. In looking back, I guess we were rather poor. My parents had little education, and my dad always worked at minimum-wage jobs. But I thought my life was great. I never missed a meal, and I knew both my parents loved me. My sister (one year older) and I were best friends and grew up somewhat like twins. Although my dad often worked out of town during the week, he was usually home on weekends, when we’d go to church together.

As I have grown older, I have realized that my dad was a great inspiration to me as a young child and adolescent. I think that one of the reasons he was the kind of person he was involved the fact that as a young man he disappeared for seven years and was declared dead. He wasn’t of course, and when he returned to Kentucky in 1936, he was lucky enough to meet my mom and become a family man. My novel, Tulsa Times , scheduled for release later this year, attempts to show how those seven years he was missing shaped his young life and made him into the father he became to me. In the coming weeks, blog posts will center around some of the facts I’ve learned about those years.

No comments:

Post a Comment