Saturday, November 25, 2017

Nettie and Her Girls


Today I received a picture in the mail of a lady and her three young girls. I was astounded at how beautiful they all were. When I knew them, the mother was in her mid-sixties and the girls were probably in their forties. I was in college at the time and I didn’t think much about their ages. I just knew that they were all much older and wiser than I was. The mother’s name was Nettie. Nettie had suffered a stroke in her early forties, leaving her whole right side paralyzed. At some point after that they had decided to have college girls stay with her to help her with chores in return for room and board. I arrived in the fall of 1962 as a junior in college. I lived with Nettie for the last two years of college as well as the summer after I graduated in June of 1964.

As a result, I got to know two of the daughters quite well. Doris lived near her mother and taught in a local elementary school, and Opal lived in a town about twenty-five miles away and taught at a community college. The third daughter, Ardith, lived in Florida. Although I met her, I really never got to know her.

Nettie (whom I always called Mrs. Lee) was an amazing woman. Although she had no use of her right hand and had to wear a brace on her right leg in order to stand and walk, she cooked lunch for her daughter, her son-in-law, and me every day of the week. She always cooked enough so that she and I would have left-overs for dinner. I learned a lot about being frugal from her meal-planning, but it was later that I realized how much effort it must have taken for her to cook all those meals. Mrs. Lee died just a few months before my older daughter was born, and I always regretted that she did not get to see my first child.

Recently I learned something about Nettie and her three daughters that I had never known before. They all went to Detroit, Michigan, during World War II and worked in an airplane factory. According to the oldest daughter, Opal, it was her youngest sister Doris, who is now deceased, who decided that she wanted to go to Michigan and work.

Along with thousands of other women, they learned that women could work in many fields that they would never have thought of before the war. Also, like most other women, they seldom spoke of those years. I would have thought that during the many conversations I had with Doris, she might have mentioned her work in the airplane factory at some time, but she didn’t. She was a wonderful first grade teacher for many years. Several years after I graduated, she became Dean of Women at the college where I had attended.  I always admired her. Now that I know more of her story, I admire her even more.



Find me on Social Media:
Merrill J. Davies, Writer, Facebook Page: http://on.fb.me/1HHkUXf






No comments:

Post a Comment